• Residencial building
• Private property
PLAN AND CONSTRUCTION 1939 - 1940
• Giuseppe Terragni
This is the last building designed by Giuseppe Terragni. A few months after setting up the building yard, the architect was called to arms and was forced to follow the works through regular mailing with his friend and collaborator Luigi Zuccoli, to whom he sent notes, drafts and design directives. The cross-section of the building shows disarticulation of the floors, which is also evident outside on the façades, with the rooms staggered by a half floor.
This peculiar spatial organization allows for two apartments to be on the same floor and the third one on the next level, accessed by a corridor facing outwards. In the apartments, flexible and dynamic rooms are created by using moving walls. On the top floor, the “Villa”, which is recessed from the fronts, lies on the three different levels, although the roof is on one level. The fronts are animated by overhangs and recesses (balconies, recessed windows, protruding parts) that mix the lines of even floors and staggered floors and give expressivity to the building. A valuable broken marble facing characterizes the four fronts, and it is interesting to note that all surrounding buildings, erected after the war, took on this idea, including the Novocomum, which was faced with this material in the 1950s, modifying the original smooth and colorful plaster.
How to get there:
By car: autostrada dei Laghi A9, exit Grandate, continue towards Como Centro (Stadio Sinigaglia parking area).
By train: FFS Como San Giovanni station (P.le San Gottardo), continue on foot (about 10’), direction stadio; Ferrovie Nord Milano (Borghi station - Como Nord Lago station), continue on foot (about 10’), direction Stadio Sinigaglia.
Modern architecture in the surrounding areas:
Luigi Cavadini, Il Razionalismo Lariano, Como 1926-44, Electa, Milano 1989
Giorgio Ciucci (a cura), Giuseppe Terragni, Electa, Milano 1996