The first headquarters of Il Corriere della Sera, in this trapezoidal block bordered by via Solferino to the west, the naviglio of San Marco to the east and Via della Moscova to the north, dates back to 1903. The lot was partially constructed and the newspaper premises were subdivided into two blocks crossed by an internal road, about 8.5 meters wide, surpassed by a suspended footbridge. The two units also communicate through the common basement.
The 41-meter long via Solferino facade houses the administrative offices and the editorial office and is decorated with a sequence, symmetrical to the entrance, of twelve giant-size Doric pilasters. Two small, slightly recessed wings join at the ends. The true industrial factory is a 20x30 meter shed overlooking the naviglio. On its south side, two added floors house the printing and stereotypy works. This complex was designed by Luca Beltrami, an architect and journalist, and also co-owner of the newspaper.
In 1907, one floor was added to the office building making it consistent with the height of the nearby buildings.
In 1912-13, after engineer Repossi’s project, an extension of the office building was built as far as the Casa Rigamonti. The two buildings are separated by a driveway.
During the years of Fascism the Corriere expanded greatly and purchased other bits of the block, until it occupied almost all of it (the Casa Rigamonti was never purchased).
The facilities for the iron and glass rotary printing machines, designed by Alberto Rosselli and located on the corner of via San Marco and via della Moscova, were built in the 1960s.
The renovation project of the Il Corriere della Sera premises falls into a wider urban revitalization and reconversion process of the historical center of the city.
The works, started in 2001, included the demolition of some recently added buildings and the renovation of the industrial volumes and the offices buildings of the three magazines that belong to the publishing group.
The main objectives of the operation were two: redefining the spaces and adjusting them to the new production and organizing processes, and giving an architectural image to the whole complex with a new union that overcomes the fragmentation of the many operations carried out over the years.
The core of the project is a large common courtyard with a large water tank covered with black marble.
The buildings overlooking via San Marco and via Solferino are connected by a bridge.
The outside facades will be renovated and partialyl changed so that old and new will bedifferentiated: the old buildings are covered with yellow plaster and decorated with horizontal fluting that take on the original feature of the settlement, while the new sections are covered with dark gray aluminum panels.
The completing section, formed by a metal grid, contains technical systems.
How to get there:
Public transportation: MM2 Moscova station; MM3 Turati station; overground lines: 94 - 43 - 61
Modern architecture in the surrounding areas:
Mediateca di Santa Teresa
Claudia Conforti, Civili conversazioni: la rinnovata sede del Corriere della Sera di Vittorio Gregotti
, in Casabella n. 754, 2007