• Public service
• Public building
• Municipal property
PLAN AND CONSTRUCTION 1937 - 1939
• Antonio Carminati
• Giuseppe Terragni
The building, designed by architects Giuseppe Terragni and Antonio Carminati, after the second world war became a Casa del Popolo, the temporary offices of political parties and, later on, of organizations and associations.
In 1968, the Council purchased and restored the building and the outside returned to its original look. In 1975, the building took the name of Palazzo Terragni and is now used as a picture gallery.
A new undertaking of conservative restoration was carried out in 2001.
The building has two levels and is slightly lifted above the ground by a small basement. The principal front, where offices are located, overlooks the square, while the movie theater/auditorium closes the building on its east side. The fascist tower, the first outstanding difference of this building from that in Como, stands in the southwest corner, slightly separated from the main unit. A memorial is housed in its base, while the balcony of the arengario juts out from the front.
On top, is a glass roof. The main entrances are located on the west front, with one access on the ground floor, through a glass door, and one on the first floor, which is reached through a staircase next to the ground floor entrance. The memorial is accessed from the halfway landing of the staircase, through a passageway between two marble walls and covered with glass panes. At the top of the staircase, a covered passageway leads to the tower from behind and, from here, through a suspended footbridge, to the arengario. The first floor of the building houses the foyer, a corridor and the offices. The corridor ends with a full-height glass wall. On the ground floor, there is the same corridor, but the offices are less deep, since the upper level juts out and covers an internal passageway situated below, along the fašade. The corridor and the offices are divided by wooden cupboards-bookcases with glass top. Individual offices are laid out according to the structural grid, in line with modules that snugly fit between pillars, and are divided by moving walls on the ground floor and masonry walls on the top floor. Natural light floods in from the whole fašade, which features wooden windows with modular supports. The movie theater is preceded on the south side by a foyer on the first floor and a hall on the ground floor (presently the council chamber), both of which get light from ribbon windows. The wall dividing the movie theater from the hall can be folded and disappear, so as to increase the audience size. The upper tiers of seats, which are supported by curved beams supported on pillars hidden in the wall bordering the theater, are accessed from the two staircases at both sides of the auditorium.
How to get there:
By road: SS36; by rail: FS Milano-Como-Chiasso
Modern architecture in the surrounding areas:
Michele Ugolini, La casa del fascio di Lissone, Alinea Editrice, Firenze 1994
Giorgio Ciucci, Giuseppe Terragni, Electa, Milano 1996
Cecilia Bolognesi, Il passato difficile, in Domus n. 838, 2001